Can Kybella leave the fat uneven under the chin?
Hello Thanks for your great website. I have fat under my chin and my doctor recommended Kybella. However, he told me that if I ever get more fat under the chin, I will look odd since the fat will be deposited on the sides but not in the area in the center where I was treated. Since I fluctuate a lot with my weight, I’m wondering if it is worth doing kybella if I might end up with a problem in the future. I am wondering if you have an opinion about this. Thank you Bella
This is an interesting question. It’s not a question of whether Kybella works/kills fat cells under the chin though, because we know it does work on fat very consistently over a broad group of patients. So why does it sometimes come out uneven??
You can also absolutely consider the Coolmini by Coolsculpting. Many people with wider necks do well because the applicators can be positioned easily out to the sides, as long as there is enough fat. Many people find the Coolmini more comfortable than Kybella. Also, you also have the option of “fine tuning” with Kybella later, if needed.
Here are some relevant facts about Kybella:
- It kills the fat cells it’s injected into permanently if done with the recommended doses and protocol
- It doesn’t kill other types of cells, like skin cells, even if it’s not injected correctly, because it only works on fat cells.
- Kybella works better on people with good skin on their neck. If there is too much sun damage, or the skin is too thin, the final result won’t be great. Also,the neck skin may just not be elastic anymore (older skin usually), so it won’t retract (shrink up), when the fat is gone.
- Kybella is NOT approved for the jowl area. Some doctors are using it there, but you risk nerve damage for 3-4 months. This results in a weird smile for 3-4 months. The jowls will not look great, even if the under chin fat looks better. Avoid for now.
Here are some observations about Kybella:
- If there IS unevenness, it’s usually correctable, with 1-2 vials more of Kybella.
- Necks are very different. Try looking at your friends’ checks. The shape and fat distribution really matters.
- If the neck is fattier over the entire neck out to the sides, and not just under the chin or down the middle, it’s harder to get it even. It also may take more treatments than expected.
- Sensation of discomfort during treatment is really variable. Some patients have almost no discomfort and some have a lot. We pre ice for 15 min and that seems to help some.
Hope this helps, Dr. I